Mold is a very important part of nature. Mold helps with decomposition of organic matter and the recycle of nutrients in our ecosystems. While having mold outdoor is essential and necessary. When mold starts growing indoors is becomes hazardous and can cause property damage. Mold reproduce by tiny airborne spores that can travel anywhere in our homes.
Unfortunately, the conditions for mold can grow rapidly within our home due to a food source (such as carpet, wood, and drywall) Since mold grows with moisture here are common factors that speed up the process of mold growth:
- Flooding can bring in a huge amount of water into your home, causing severe water damage and possibly mold growth within 24-48 hours. Calling a professional restoration company like Millan’s Restoration immediately after the disaster is your best chance of mitigating water damage and preventing mold growth.
- Increased humidity can occur in homes in many ways — humid weather, continuous rain, cooking, showering, etc. To help prevent mold growth in your home, make sure your house is well-ventilated and keep the humidity below 55 percent.
- Insufficient ventilation leads to increased humidity, and thus, to mold growth and other problems like indoor pollution. Make sure to open doors and/or windows when practical and to use fans as needed.
- Leaking pipes are a common problem in homes and must be fixed immediately. Oftentimes, leaks are hidden from view, such as inside walls, so make sure to inspect walls for water stains regularly.
- Roof leaks are also a way for water to seep into your home and cause mold. If you see water stains on the ceiling, check for water damage in the attic and have your roof inspected and fixed as soon as possible.
- Condensation occurs when warm moisture-laden air comes in contact with cold surfaces. Condensation can be visible on walls, windows, concrete floors or metal pipes. Reduce condensation by adjusting the humidity in your home.
- Basements provide excellent conditions for mold growth due to poor ventilation, cooler temperatures (that promote condensation), and frequent water leaks and flooding. Learn how to prevent and deal with basement flooding in this article.
Mold can grow in unexpected areas in your home, which can make mold remediation more difficult. For professional mold removal, as well as fire and water restoration services, contact Millan’s Restoration at (800) 844-5419.