Mold is a relatively simple organic fungi that can be found indoors which needs only water, oxygen and an organic source to be present in order to survive and spread. Mold threatens the structural reliability of the home/building. It will eat away at wood framing and floors, produce intoxicating odors, and lead to rather serious health risks. Because mold spores are microscopic, the threat often goes unnoticed until it is too late and serious damage has occurred. Mold Growth can be triggered in any area that has come into contact with high levels of humidity occurring from flood damage, water damage or a plumbing burst. It only takes 24-48 hours for mold to grow after a water intrusion. If you can answer yes to any of the following questions, there could be hidden mold:
- Is there a musty smell in the building?
- Can you see a substance that you suspect might be mold?
- Are there visible signs of water damage anywhere?
- Does the building suffer from constant moisture of poor circulation?
- Has the building ever suffered a roof, plumbing or basement leak?
- Has the building ever suffered a sink or sewer overflow?
- Has the building ever suffered other water problems?
The following health problems have all been associated with toxic mold:
Allergies, arthritic-like headaches, asthma, bloody noses, chronic headaches, coughing, crawly feeling skin, depression, dizziness, fatigue, flu-like symptoms, unexplained irritability, trouble breathing, sneezing, skin rashes, runny nose, nausea, irritation of the eyes, nose or throat.
Millan’s Restoration, Inc. quickly responds to Emergencies to prevent mold growth. However, when we are called to an existing mold situation, we commence work to stop the further spread of mold spores. The first step is to locate and stop moisture at its source. Once the source has been detected, a containment is made to prevent the spread of mold into the remainder of the structure. Air scrubbing, dehumidifying, and drying are steps performed to properly remediate Mold.